scary monsters and nice sprites [wolf]

Vox | Hawkclaw

monster in the making
Jul 21, 2022
ezgif-com-gif-maker-4.jpg

I JUST NEED SOME TIME

Okay, he'd admit it- maybe twoleg place was getting old. More and more often lately, Hawk had been faced with this realization, something he'd pointedly been trying to ignore for moons now. Maybe Wolf had been right to leave, and maybe Hawk had been an idiot for not following. Now it was too late. He had no idea where his brother had gone or if he was ever coming back, and while he'd deny it to the ends of the earth, it was suffocatingly lonely without them here. They'd been together from day one, and this absence had taken more of a toll that the tomcat had expected.

Now his day were filled with a restlessness he couldn't tame despite his efforts to do so. He was angry all the time, frustrated with no other outlet than starting fights witht he other strays around him, and it was getting to a point where he was thinking about just saying 'fuck it' and leaving. He'd walk out of the town and keep going til he found something or it killed him.

The only thing that held him back was Wolf. If the other did end up coming back for him and Hawk wasn't here, then it was very likely they'd never see each other again. And while the cream tomcat may have talked a big game, the idea of never seeing his idiot sibling again didn't sit well with him.

So he stayed, killing time however he could. Today he was just wandering around the twolegs gardens looking for something to do, bordom heavy in his expression.

tom - 20 months - thunderclan warrior - lare cream tomcat - homosexual - single

Augustus ✧ he/they ✧ Thunderclanner ░░░░░░░░░░░░░
What laid beyond white picket fences had always been something of interest. Wondering what could be out there, who could be out there and what sort of adventures awaited to be had. Sure the house was great and being fed all the time wasn't terrible either- but at the same time it was mundane. Day after day seemed like the very same thing of waking up, watching his humans leave and staring at dry kibble all day long. Not even hungry at that point for the crunchy little pebbles that laid in his dish on the daily, even playing in the water dish had become boring.

Augustus got up off the fluffy bed that sat beside the couch and headed for the cat door. Pushing through thick plastic out into the yard he gave a deep breath- fresh air filling his lungs and clearing his mind of that fog. The fog that sat in his mind as he continued the same old routine. The humans had just left so it was just himself and the backyard. Though it wasn't a terrible yard as it had a lot of large flowers and vegetables growing within its rich soil, and it was one of his favorite places to just lay down and relax. But would that be stimmulating enough?

It was unlikely, but it was worth a try right? The chocolate and white cat moved along the fence towards the rose bushes, and flattened on with a paw to rub onto the petals. Minding the thorns as much as he could but did feel it scrape against his arm and shoulder. Augustus loved the smell of flowers and found it to be better than his normal scent, so he liked to roll or rub against them.

I JUST NEED SOME TIME

One could say that Hawks relationship with the other cats in twoleg plae was shaky at best. There were a few cats he vibed with that were cool to kill time with, but he'd sort of burned his bridges with everyone else, either having spooked them away with his unnaproachable persona or by outright being unfriendly and starting fights to pass the time.

Padding along behind a row of garden fences, his gaze was drawn to movement along one of them. Another cat- one he didn't think he recognized- was up on the fence rubbing along a flower bush.

A brow would lift in confusion at the action as he drew to a stop, and then seemed to make a decision.

"What the hell are you doing?"

The chocolate cat jumped in his spot in the garden, and instantly sat up from where he had laid down in the garden comfortably. Dual colored eyes flicked upwards towards that of this strange, cream color tomcat that stood on the fence with a demanding question. Augustus gave a small huff and stood up to shake dirt from his coat, "What are you doing, hm?" He stated back with a lash of his feathery tail before marching over to the fence with fur bristling, "Can't a cat enjoy some flowers on a summers day without rando strays popping in?"

A white paw lifted for him to lap at before running it over the white half of his face to clear away dirt he could see out of the corner of his eye. Augustus then lifted his chin at the cream tabby, "Don't you have a garbage or something to rummage through? Anything else that isn't spying on cats in their own yard," A small snort came from the chocolate oriental, green and blue eyes glaring at him.

I JUST NEED TIME

A smirk would tug at the toms lips when the other jumped, fur bristling out comically at his sudden interuption. kittypets. They were so fucking easy.

"Not really." he replied, the words holding just a bit of bitterness to them. if he had something better to do then he'd probably be doing it by now. Besides, he didn't eat garbage. Why would he when he could take a pidgeon, rat, or squirrel whenever he wanted to?

"But I guess I could always go knock over those ones if it makes you feel better." he would add with a smirk, tail gesturing toward the pair of cans up against the cats own house.

The oriental mix bristled further as the tom gestured to the cans beside the house. Those where paint cans and he swore if they where knocked over Augustus would surely be blamed for such a thing. "Fine, I concied, what do you want?" The tomcat licked at his chest fur to smooth it down from bristling moments before. Maybe if he played nice and didn't push buttons this cream tomcat would leave him alone. White paws moved across the grass before leaping up quite gracefully up onto the fence, "Just try not to destroy my home, I don't need my humans to balem me for things,"

I JUST NEED TIME

Hawk had to admit: it was kind of fun watching this housecat panic and bristle at him. The cream tomcat had done his fair share of antogonizing kittypets in his time, but usually it wasn't with the intention of being cruel- it was just fun to mess with them. Of course, that wasn't to say things had never gotten violent between him and a housepet before. No, he'd scrap with just about any cat who was unlucky enough to damage his pride.

As the cat gave in and eventually hopped up on the fence to join him, Hawk would take a moment to actually appraise them. They were long and thin in build, with sleek brown fur that gave way to white markings across one side of their face and tail.

They had what Hawk liked to refer to as 'the kittypet look', something exotic that marked them as different from the typical strays that could be found in twoleg place. For this one it came in the shape of their angled face and lean build.Even their fur was an odd shade, something free of the typical stripes that came with most brown cats.

"Guess you'd better be on your best behavior then, cause I'm not making any promises." the tom replied, taking a seat on the fence with an amused twitch of his whiskers.

Maybe he wouldn't trash the place, or maybe he woud- it would depend on how things went between him and this strange cat, because really it sounded kind of funny to blame a housepet for making a mess they had nothing to do with.

"Whats your name, kittypet?" he asked, a brow lifting expectantly in the other toms direction. "Lemme guess- its probably something like Fuzzy or Wiggles."

Augustus regarded the cream tomcat with a bit of distain, he didn't like strays all that much. They where never up to any good and always seemed to want something out of him like food or a place to sleep for the night. His humans took in cats all the time to care for them and adopt them out, so this wouldn't be his first redeo if it came down to that. Though there was a bit of curiousity to him, this cat was large in size. Cream tabby, which was unusual. Most strays came in shades of brown, black or white. Never anything outside of that really, unless of course he wasn't entirely of stray blood.

Himself was a oriental mix, an accident litter between his mother and father. Adopted out of the shelter by his humans and well here he was; sitting on a fence talking to some random cat for no reason. "Please," He stated with an eyeroll at the cream cat, "My humans named me Augustus, after a book character they love," Though it was much too proper of a name for him, it is what was deemed by his humans and what they like to call to him. Did he listen half the time? Not really no.

"What about you? Bet its something like Scraps or Bones," Strays always had 'hard' names as if that made them anymore intimidating.

I JUST NEED TIME

Augustus? he repeated, unable to help the laughter that shook his shoulders. "Who was your father- Reginald P. Quinton The Third?"

He'd never heard such a name on a cat before. It was so goddamn proper and upscale he wouldn't have been surprised in the least if he learned to tomcat was served only the finest of canned food on a silver platter. Pathetic. Hawk had never excepted a handout from a twoleg his entire life, and while wild living certainly had its downsides, he couldn't imagine trading his freedom just for a warm nest and some food to grow fat on.

"And don't be stupid. My name's Hawk." he replied with a wave of his tail. Like he'd be named after bones or scraps of trash. His mother had named him and his sibling after creatures of power, and she'd named them well.

"So Auggie, what does a well-behaved housepet like yourself do for fun around here." he asked, tone not entirely unscathing as he regarded the other. "Aside from rolling in flowers?"

Those dual colored eyes grew annoyed at the others' laugher at him for his name. It wasn't like a choice he had in the matter, and his humans only liked when he responded to that word specifically, "I don't know, I'm from the shelter- he could've been named Root for all I know," He responded a bit about his fathers name. He never knew his parents, they could've been anyone really. Even his own siblings could be out there and he'd be none the wiser.

"Take your own advice, Hawk," The chocolate tomcat sniped back at him with a huff, but at least there was a name to a face now. Hawk. Seemed rather strange for a cream colored cat as didn't they get named after their fur? Or something? He didn't know and didn't care to know, but upon being asked what to do for fun around here he gave a small shrug.

"It is very boring here, its the same thing everyday all day," Augustus gave a small huff and shook out his coat for a moment, "You would have better chance of watching grass grow than anything fun happening here,"

I JUST NEED SOME TIME

A sour look would cross the toms face at the mention of the shelter, fur bristling ever so slightly. Yeah, he knew the place, and the day he went back there would be the day earth froze over. "Rough start. You born there, or snatched off the streets?" he asked, tone holding just the slightest bit of curiosity as he regarded the other.

" And seriously- nothing? Are you just a kittypet for the free food and board then?" he asked. What was the point of living a monotonous life of unfulfillment just for a full stomach and soft nest at the end of the day. He would much prefer to go to bed hungry in an uncomfortable bed if it meant feeling like he was at least alive.

"I don't remember really, it was just one day I was awake in a steel cage with food and water," He had been a sickly kitten founded on the streets; infested with fleas and mites of all kinds. They had nursed him back to health after trying to find his mother, but alas no one could find her or any other kittens she might've had as well. Though it wasn't like he stayed at the shelter long as he had been adopted once he was healthy enough to do so.

Hawks' next set of words made him hesitate, and he looked down at the ground for a moment, "I do not know, really," he responded softly and those dual eyes looked from the ground below the fence to Hawk, "Suppose I don't want to live this life anymore? But what else could there be?,"
[/color]

I JUST NEED SOME TIME

Hawk could only imagine how hard it must have sucked to wake up in a place like that with no memory. Stuck behind steel bars, surrounded by the smell of dozens of scared cats while the sounds of barking and whining dogs echo down the corridors. Nowhere to go, nothing to do.

Entirely at the mercy of the twolegs.

How many cats had he seen taken away that never came back?

Their response to his question wasn't exactly what he was expecting. Most kittypets were quick to defend their twolegs and justify their lives, but Augustus seemed to hesitate before going in the opposite direction entirely, apparently only staying because they weren't sure what was out there.

"What do you mean 'what more could there be'? There's more beyond your garden fence, isn't there? Hell, there's more beyond twoleg place, even." he replied, and even as he said them he could taste the hypocrisy on them. Had he not rejected Wolfs offer to go out and explore that great beyond himself? And yet here he was, telling Auggie they were foolish for limiting themselves if they wanted to go farther.

Vox had a point, there was more beyond that of the fence and his small little piece of the world. So what stopped him from going out there? From completely leaving this world behind for something new and exciting? Truth be told, Augustus was horribly terrified. Terrified of not being able to eat some days, not have a place to sleep, fighting random cats for measely scraps of food. That wasn't something he wanted for himself, something he didn't think he could be good at even if he tried. So, why not take the safer option of staying here in his housefolks home?

"I know that, I do," The chocolate oriental spoke softly and looked down at the ground one more time, large ears flicking back against his head, "I don't think I could survive out there on my own," It was an honest statement, with the words lacing that of a cat who was just scared. Augustus had known nothing else but the hands of twolegs his whole life, so how could he just up and become a wild cat? A stray even?

I JUST NEED SOME TIME

Fear. He could sense it easily on the other as they admitted why they stayed. His instinct was to defy it, because fear was weakness and this entire conversation was hitting far to close to home for him right now. And it would have been the easy thing to do, too tell Augustus that they were being stupid for letting something get int he way of what they wanted. So why wasn't he doing that? Why was he just watching this stupid cat with his stupidly big ears and not insulting them.

I'm just bored. I'f i piss them off too muhc they'll leave and i'll be alone again. he told himself. It was a lie, but it was easier than admitting he was feeling relatable to this guy right now.

"Probably not." he agreed, but surprisingly the words didn't hold the sting that might have been anticipated. It was just a fact that Augustus probably wasn't prepared to survive out there by himself. "At least, not right now. If you trained you could probably do it." he said, shrugging his shoulders.

It was expected for Vox to lash out, to have something snarky to say as it just seemed like his predisposition at this time. Instead he was greeted with a fact than anything remotely close to being dick-ish. "Right, because I can definitely find a sensei or some wise old cat to teach me the way of the wild," Came the sarcastic remark as Augustus lashed his tail a bit. Was Vox an idiot? How could Augustus even begin to 'train' for such a thing? He knew no one but other house cats, and they where even less likely to live outside their beds than in the garden.

I JUST NEED SOME TIME

The tom couldn't help but roll his eyes at the others words. "Haven't you ever heard of a little thing called 'taking the inittiative'? he asked, gesturing out toward twoleg place. "Go climb a tree or hase a pigeon or something. Your a cat, half of this shit is instinct. You just have to practice until you get good at it." he explained.

It wasn't rocket science. Any cat, kittypet or not, could develop the basic skills needed to go out into the world. Vox had met pleanty of houseecats that prefered to hunt live prey rather than eat dry pellets, and he'd met just as many who could hold their own in a fight, too. Augustus just had to have to motivation to go out and try some of this stuff for himself.

"Have you even left this garden before?"

"No I haven't been past the fence, ever," He answered honestly, fur bristling at the eyeroll he got from Vox. How dare he! Augustus wasn't the kind of cat to be adventurous. After the shelter, he preferred being home and staying within his means- but lately that just wasn't enough anymore, "So, I don't think any of those things will come naturally to me," Deadpanned the chocolate cat with a lash of his tail.

THEY CALL KIDS LIKE US VICIOUS AND CARVED OUT OF STONE
BUT FOR WHAT WE'VE BECOME, WE JUST FEEL MORE ALONE

"With a attitude like that it won't." the tomcat mumbled.

Maybe it was for the best that they remained a housecat then. It took a lot of effort to survive, a lot of trial and error and failing over and over until you got good at it. Sometimes you never got good at a certain thing, and would have to then compensate by being really good in another aspect. The trick was just hanging in there until you figured out what the hell your strengths and weaknesses are. Augustus didn't seem to have much motivation to do that though. Guess he's a kittypet for a reason. he thought to himself with a swish of his tail.

"Way to give up before you even try. Guess that's the difference between you kittypets and us strays." he taunted, leveling the other with a challenging smirk.

tom - 20 months - thunderclan warrior - large cream tomcat - homosexual - single

"I didn't say I was giving up, just that I'm thinking logically. I would need someone to teach me to do these things," Augustus responded back with a small shrug of his shoulders. Then got up from the fence to stretch his back a bit as it gotten stiff from how he was crouched on. The chocolate tomcat then shook out his pelt for a moment, "There is a different between kittypets and strays, one had to learn while the other was optional," He looked to Vox and gave another shrug, "But I am willing to try, I just don't think it is as natural to me as it is to you,"