SET MY SOUL ALIGHT [ otterbite ]

claythorn

AIN'T A DROP OF BAD BLOOD
Jan 7, 2024

Their argument had struck a chord within her. She had become defensive at his words, trying to brush off what could have happened. Perhaps he was realistic and why he was upset. No, not perhaps, he was realistic about why he was upset. She could have easily died three times over recently. The first time, a dog at her heels, Ospreypaw's words in her ear directing her in the right direction. The second time, a dog on their shores, threatening a kit.

And the third time? Far more recently, and more dicey. A windclanner's warriors claws pinning her done, teeth arcing towards her neck. Her neck, the vital lifeline. She knew that point well- she had torn her own mother's neck out like that. Ferngill is the only reason she still stands today, thanks to his quick action. Claythorn, while she paced in camp, let her thoughts dwell on the fact that if the roles were reversed, Claythorn would perhaps lay siege to Windclan, alone, for their transgressions. Is that her fear response, to become angry? To let the rage take over?

She finally came to a stop in her pacing, turning and padding to sit near Otterbite. Mismatched goldens flicked to find seafoam, hoping that he wasn't giving her the cold shoulder. She wanted to bring something up to him. Her paw covered something she had been carrying, tucking under her tail.
  • "speech"

// @otterbite
  • fYfRn8Y.png
  • CLAYTHORN she/her, warrior of riverclan, fourteen moons.
    LH chocolate torbie with mismatched golden eyes, scars across her right cheek and over her left ear. cold exterior and threatening glares, built for stamina/battle and not swimming (tall/muscled)
    mentored by darkbranch (npc) / / mentoring no one
    padding after otterbite / / only child
    peaceful and healing powerplay permitted / / underline and tag when attacking
    penned by dallas ↛ dallasofnines on discord, feel free to dm for plots.

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ- He hadn't thought to approach Claythorn again after their fight. A 'fight' though it felt more like a hissing match, spitting whatever venom and ichor that came to mind at the sight of her. Bloodied and pathetic, laying in a nest that might have very well been her last.

If it was, if some infection took over her he did not want to know. It would be better to leave them both burned and singed than softened over just for it all to be lost. Then he wouldn't have any reason to miss her, the fire in his heart would smolder and he wouldn't find himself stuck wanting and wishing for the impossible.

If Claythorn's made good recovery since, he wouldn't know much of it. Jaggedpaw needed far more attention than he expected of an apprentice, wanting to accompany him on every patrol and not be thrown into another round of tick-removal. It had been fruitful, anyhow. The less time he spent in camp the better he felt.

Long tabby fur just barely brushed against his thin sleek coat, but he did not move to look at her. What if she still looked... hurt?

"Are you coming back to the warriors den tonight?" Perhaps... he did feel better when leaning against her at night.

• OTTERBITE he/him, warrior of riverclan, fifteen moons.
    scruffy blue/black chimera with a white tail-tip and green eyes. noticeable kinked whiskers
    adopted son to pikesplash // former apprentice to coyotecreek
    peaceful and healing powerplay requires permission / / underline and tag when attacking or making an action toward
    see battle info here
    penned by beataegonkpilled on discord, feel free to dm for plots.

Okay, it was slightly a cold shoulder. That was to be expected, given the gravity of their last... 'conversation'. A soft inhale followed as he did not move away, but his eyes did not move to meet hers. A soft breath followed, and ears twitched, vision dropping down to his paws. He at least wasn't yelling at her- that was a step in the right direction.

She thought for a moment, then nodded. "Yes." She answered, no frills or attachments to her statement. It was the truth, after all. Moonbeam had released her, and she'd be damned if she rested another night in that poultice-and-herb scented den right now. She wanted to mend a bridge that had begun to sway and fall, ensure it was still strong. A light hung in the middle of it all, still flickering with hope.

"And I... have something, for your nest." She said softly, vision lifting again. It was near eerie to hear her speak in a tone she reserved for only their youngest, or those dying like Petalnose. A side of her not oft revealed. A side... that she maybe hoped got to be shown more often, if he allowed her. Whenever he finally looked, Claythorn pushed the trinket forward between them. A stone, nearly a perfect match to his eyes, dotted with pockets of swirling white and darker, flecked minerals.

Claythorn's throat cleared. "I'm sorry. You're right. I shouldn't have been so careless with my life." She murmured, vision looking up towards his. "If there's any way you'd forgive me?" Claythorn posed the question.
  • "speech"
  • CLAYTHORN she/her, warrior of riverclan, eleven moons.
    LH chocolate torbie with mismatched golden eyes, scars across her right cheek and over her left ear. cold exterior and threatening glares, built for stamina/battle and not swimming (tall/muscled)
    no current love interest / / only child

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ- Her answer is all he wanted to hear, and the relief that has flooded him is more than anticipated. He allowed then, in that moment, for the pair to share closer proximity. His tail uncoiled his tail from himself to entwine with hers, sparing a momentary glance to the molly. It may be misled for shyness, but part of him feared to see the extent of the damage, how it bared against her skin and body.

His eyes divert quickly from her and back to his paws, a small smile making its way forward. Yes. The word fell so pleasantly within her voice, her admittance following it. It's different this time. There is no matter-of-factness or strict tension. A gentleness she does not normally show to him (and when had he ever done the same?)

Otterbite twitched his ears and rest his gaze on the stone slid his way. He understood its intention, Claythorn's message clear as the waters that yawn to lap at their paws. A transaction that surely neither of them truly understood the weight of.

"Forgive?" Otterbite placed a paw over hers, keeping the stone beneath their hold as he closed the space between them. His muzzle rest below her own for a moment, his breathing slow. "I don't want to see you hurt again, I don't deserve that." The words came slow, careful. "If there is a way for you to stay safe, without the need for these frilly webs and sticky poultices I'd take it-"

Otterbite paused and pulled himself away, as if startled by his own thought. "A nest, fit for a queen... Would you be my queen, Claythorn?"

• OTTERBITE he/him, warrior of riverclan, fifteen moons.
    scruffy blue/black chimera with a white tail-tip and green eyes. noticeable kinked whiskers
    adopted son to pikesplash // former apprentice to coyotecreek
    peaceful and healing powerplay requires permission / / underline and tag when attacking or making an action toward
    see battle info here
    penned by beataegonkpilled on discord, feel free to dm for plots.

Her olive branch did not go unmet- his tail wound with hers, something that make a flutter skip across heart and skin, something that urged her to keep vision lifted to his. Seafoam eyes barely glanced at her, and she was patient with him. No, nothing clung to her head for face anymore, the blow that she had suffered purely lay beneath the surface.

The smile that met his muzzle was another step of relief. Her shoulders had sagged just before pushing the stone forward. And she had waited with bated breath, as if afraid to move, afraid to break the fragile weaving of something peaceful. She could hear the water lap nearby, the soft call of birds flying over for a fish. The breeze rustled reeds together as she waited. And as he spoke, paw placed over hers, ears perking with brief surprise.

As he grew close, Claythorn grew warm, as if aware of how close she suddenly was, how his breath rustled the fur against her chin and neck. Just how fine the separation between the darkest parts of his muzzle and his head was, how calculated those eyes were. Head tipped forward, briefly pressing nose to nose before withdrawing. And he was right, though something within her begged to realize it wasn't just him at risk, she built a wall before it and ignored it best she could. Claythorn inhaled softly to respond just as pulled away, blinking in near-bewilderment.

Would you be my queen, Claythorn?

A hailstorm, what she had been tossed to. A moment so still and slow she wished to live in it forever, to a proposition that would change her life- their lives, their relationship. Kits, tucked into a nest safe and warm. Safety- had she ever truly experienced that? From the moment she was just a pawful of moons old, to this exact moment, her life had been risked. Threatened to be killed or eaten for existence. Tossed to frozen water, dragged from it, beaten, scarred. Bruised up down and sideways.

It took a long few moments before Claythorn spoke again, her tone hesitantly warm. "... Yes, Otterbite." Claythorn said quietly. "I think.. yes. I would like that." Claythorn's head tilted gently, vision stealing towards the stone they both had their paws upon. "We'll... only have a bit of time to share a nest. I want... to do that." Claythorn said quietly. If only for a few days, I want to be by your side. She thought quietly.
  • "speech"
  • CLAYTHORN she/her, warrior of riverclan, fifteen moons.
    mated to otterbite / / only child