SO FINALLY, I'M ON MY WAY \ meeting 5.28.23

( PRETEND THAT YOU NEVER WENT TO SCHOOL )
A new name, and fittingly it was the one that Jinn had once suggested on that fateful day when they had discussed leaving twolegplace behind. Though he supposed it wasn't Jinn anymore, it was Moondance. Elegant, refined, and beautiful. "Just as beautiful as he is..." He felt his ears heat up at the thought before he shrugged back the feelings. The rest of the news went over his head somewhat but he was sure that he would figure it all out in the coming days. For now he was content to savour his own little moment as he quietly repeated his new name to himself.
( BUT STILL, YOU'LL NEVER GET IT RIGHT )

The tortoiseshell sits quietly, listening to Blazestar’s announcements while toying with her ribbon. The first thing to catch her attention is the appointment of two new lead warriors—to replace the two who had never come home, she assumes. Slate’s promotion causes her to grimace. A kittypet-hater helping lead a clan full of kittypets and daylight warriors… she wonders what’s come over their leader. Johnny’s appointment, though, causes her to smile. She raises a paw in a friendly wave as he steps forward, her tail bristling behind her. This is the first time she can remember that a daylight warrior has sat on Blazestar’s council. It’s a step forward, in her eyes.

Then, she’s given another apprentice. Tallulahwing’s amber eyes flick over the assembled cats, finding the snowy pelt of one of the younger shelter cats. Angelina. She steps forward, touching her nose to Angelina’s briskly. “I’ll do my best to make you a fine SkyClan warrior, long as you do your part,” she says primly. “We’ll start tomorrow, so rest up tonight, you hear?

She feels Figfeather’s yellow gaze burning into her, and she half-turns, giving her former apprentice a sheepish smile. Oh, how time has flown—she remembers the fidgety tabby kit who’d been her first protégé, now a SkyClan warrior they can all be proud of. With any luck, she can work the same miracle with Angelina.

[ PENNED BY MARQUETTE ]

dfsiw1w-6a338f22-aae1-492a-977c-37693fa88d2d.gif
His sister's words reach his ears from beside him - a question of whether Snowpaw would be getting his warrior name this meeting.

The ginger tabby is unsure of the answer, but it would only make sense, right? For his brother to finally be rid of his apprentice name, to be able to move into the warrior den alongside Greeneyes and their sisters, now that he's been back home for a moon?

"I haven't heard," he answers, "But, I hope so." A crooked tail wraps around his paws as the warrior ceremonies begin, anticipation rising for what his brother's new name would be - for something good to come out of this meeting.

But good news never really comes, as Blazestar only calls for one apprentice to be named. Chrysalispaw. His heart sinks as the tom earns his name, as he becomes Chrysaliswing, while Snowpaw remains unnamed. It doesn't seem fair - of all the apprentices to be named, it should've been his brother far before the patchworked tom that receives his ceremony.

Even in the slew of name changes that follow, Snowpaw is omitted. Johnny even earns a name, becomes Johnnyflame. Bananasplash even gets a new name, becoming Honeysplash instead. Disappointment nests itself in Greeneyes chest as he chants the long list of new names - one void of a Snowstep, a Snowshine, a Snowheart.

"Guess not," he mumbles to Figfeather, a sigh following. Maybe next moon, their brother will finally make his way to the warrior den.

Today was meant to be a special day. It was the day when all boys became men, when the caterpillar transformed into the butterfly, and when wings unfurled to reveal their splendor. From the moment that the child opened their eyes, they had dreamed of that fated moment, for all their blood and tears would culminate in the palm of a not-yet-wearied hand.

And here he stood.

Chrysalispaw hardly listened to the drivel that poured out of Blazestar's mouth, the noise like the babble of the running river in the distance, a hum from yonder's phantasmagoria. It was just promotions, apprenticeships, and nothing that was relevant to him. Whiskers twitched as they followed the vague melody of the kite-light winds, conductors of an uncertain fate. Distraction came easy to the boy who cared naught for anything that wasn't right at his snout. That was, until his ears perked up at the sound of his own name among the rest, as though he were summoned from the vacuum of his own avocation. 'Chrysalispaw, do you promise to uphold the warrior code and to protect and defend your Clan, even at the cost of your life?' "I do." A loud declaration and yet the antipode to his defiant fire, a calm and collected ice that did not creep but settle onto his tongue. He knew, if there was any time to be civil, it was now.

Chrysaliswing. That's my new name? The thought almost incredulously bubbled into his head, as if it were a slippery thing that he could not grab onto, an insect that fluttered just out of clawed and flawed grasp. Perhaps it was the shock of such a big change being one and done just like that... After all, what was meant to be momentous was just that - in an ephemera, in a blink, and Blazestar had moved on. Mismatched eyes darted around for a familiar longhaired tom, one whose sable pelage rang through the crowd like it had been torn from the night, though it brought none of the comforts that twilight allotted. Chrys searched, and searched, and searched, though he already knew the answer to what he sought. He wanted to convince himself it wasn't true, that he allowed himself to be proven wrong just this one time... He only found that his father was completely absent.

Not even a sneer scratched itself onto his face as if the chimaera's face had been etched into marble, an unyielding force only marred by the impassable and temporal force of the elements. The seconds skipped by just as quickly as they always had, but the feline wanted to grab at those sleepless seconds and make them stop. Stop, just for a breath. Even that was as futile as snapping at the water and hoping to catch the droplets. Chrysalispaw's usually-fiery face bayed and stalled in uncharacteristic calmness, even as he raised his head from a bow and moved back to where he once sat. Geathery paws twiddled and waited for the moments to grow shorter. This is supposed to be the best day of my life, and I feel nothing... Is there something wrong with me?

( Late but I wanted to reply! )

• Sad
Reactions: BLAZESTAR