camp TRUE BLUE ☀stories [sunningrocks]

-ˋˏ ༻ ☀ ༺ ˎˊ-
dd766ql-e8b06172-29d0-498a-b782-e139a0acd9eb.gif
Roeflame had never been one for stories, not until she had to find something to distract five eager minds at once. Interestingly enough, the brassed queen finds that the deeper the sun sets, the more energy her children seem to conjure. Settled outside the nursery as camp became shaded in bright golden under a setting sun, the lead warrior lifts her chin, head tilting to her daughter who remains content beside her, too big for the crook of Roeflame’s flank nowadays. Figuring it was about time to get her kittens wrangled in some capacity.
The suns rays are sweet with their warmth between the queens ears and down her spine, with a stretch she finds herself wishing that in place of the camps grass, smooth stone was what she could sprawl on.
When celadon hues crack open once more, they are greeted by the small and inquisitive face of Moonwhisper’s daughter, Scarletkit. “Yes?” Comes the tabby’s expectant hum, and the question that flies from the little ones maw makes Roeflame’s drowsy expression crack with a soft, near-reminiscent grin.
How’d you get that scar over your eye?
“Oh this little thing?” A singular, unsheathed claw gives a slight tug to the furless tissue, long calloused over. “I earned it fighting alongside your mother during the Battle of Sunningrocks, back when we were still ‘paws.” With light amusement in her tone, Roeflame spares a glance to Littlekit, before moving her attention back onto the patchwork kitten who had sparked the scabbed-over memories in the first place. “Though, I suppose busy bee’s like yourself don’t have time to listen to my rambling, it’s a bit of a long story…” It’s bait, of course, completed with a mischievous glint in the queens eye.

• @Scarletkit — but no need to wait !

• ROEFLAME she/her, Lead Warrior of Thunderclan, twenty-two moons.
    petite cinnamon silver ticked tabby with murky green eyes & a small scar over her left eye.
    mate to Burnstorm ☀ mentor to Foxpaw
    peaceful and healing powerplay permitted ☀ underline and tag when attacking
    penned by Noor@toyangel on discord, feel free to dm for plots.

Scarletkit holds a fascination for learning that not many her age have. She wants to be the best - it's what her mother's wish for her has always been, after all. And from a young age she has proven that she's more than willing to fulfill that expectation. She asks a lot of questions, asks 'why?' every chance she gets, but there's still one thing about one of the queens she doesn't yet know. "How'd you get that scar over your eye?" She finally asks the lead warrior, split-hued gaze focusing on the furless flesh. It's almost as if she doesn't quite grasp how insensitive of a question that may be, but Roeflame doesn't seem to mind.

She sits back on her haunches as the older she-cat delves into a story about Sunningrocks. Her eyes round with curiosity, her ears flicking forward. "Really?" She squeaks, feathery tail beginning to lash excitedly. "No, no! I want to hear! Tell me about the battle!" The marbled she-kit eagerly begs, leaning forward with a desperation to absorb every detail that spills from the queen's maw.

When dusk falls over the forest, he finds that his paws lead him almost instinctually in the direction of the nursery. It was becoming habit now, to visit his mate and kits before bed. Soon Roeflame would rejoin him in their nest in the warriors den, but he is careful not to wish his children's childhood away, careful to remind himself that they would not be this young and innocent forever. One day they would be warriors, ones who had faced down many battles and lived to tell the tale. (It's what he tells himself anyways) Right now it was best to enjoy their youth, even if he did miss the press of silky soft fur against him. When he sees her he smiles, stands a little but back as he notices her talking to one of his sister's kits. Scarletkit.

Burnstorm remembers the battle of Sunningrocks like it was yesterday. He had been a 'paw still back then as well but he still remembers the caico pelted she-cat he had fought. Iciclefang, he recalls. She was a lead warrior now too, he had seen her at a couple of gatherings in the past. It was a hard-won battle, and their victory had been made bittersweet by the fact that his grandmother had lost a life in the fight but they had won what should have been rightfully theirs in the first place. If RiverClan was not willing to defend it when it actually mattered, and they got most of their prey from the supposedly bountiful river anyways then what use did they have for a strip of land on their shores? "You mind if I listen in?" He asks as he draws closer, pressing his nose to the top of his mates head before settling in beside her, curling himself around her so that black brushes against white, like the moon in the night sky. He had been there too, of course, but hearing the perspective of the fight through another's tongue would be more than interesting.
EpC61GT.png

• 73593410_oSE7LuZcU8tOnrY.png
    BURNSTORM THUNDERCLAN LEAD WARRIOR ; HE / HIM ; BROTHER TO MORNINGPAW, MOONWHISPER, HOWLFIRE, FIREFLYPAW, SKYCLAW & DUSKBIRD ; MATE TO ROEFLAME ; FATHER TO DOVEKIT, BEETLEKIT, AND LITTLEKIT
    A large, sharp tongued, tom with long black fur and golden, oval shaped, eyes.
    Difficult in battle. A skilled fighter + fights honorably

⊱⊰ Scarletkit’s question prompts the little lilac tom to lift his head, and his ears shift to attention as his mother responds. The scar across her eye has always been a point of intrigue for the boy, but asking about it has seemed… rude, maybe? Apparently his tortoiseshell cousin doesn’t care about that. But at least Roeflame doesn’t seem to mind, and she says that she got the scar from a battle. Of course, Hopekit has heard of the sunningrocks she’s talking about—it’s where Howlingstar took the land as ThunderClan’s. But the lead warrior explains that she had fought in the battle, and that piques his interest even more.

With a flick of a pale ear, the tom murmurs, "I want to listen." A busy bee, Hopekit is not. He would much prefer to spend his time curled up in the presence of his mother and siblings than rushing about camp and wishing he could be napping instead. Scarletkit practically begs the queen to tell her, her tail whipping back and forth in a way that would be annoying if Hopekit wasn’t also excited about the prospect of hearing about such a battle.

• ooc:
  • 81309324_2wmLWzBSS6UkcAG.png
    HOPEKIT ❯❯ he/him, thunderclan kit
    skinny, thick-furred lilac tom with deep copper eyes. soft-spoken and sleepy, but can be a bit of a grouch.
    son of batwing and leopardtongue ; brother to bravepaw, hazepaw, cardinalpaw, coalkit
    peaceful and healing powerplay permitted
    penned by foxlore

Thundergleam was no kit... she had long outgrown that title, now a wispy, long-legged thing, but she had found that when she had first encroached ThunderClan's borders her knowledge had been more kitlike than she had expected. Certain things had been known- the first Warrior Code, of course- but other facts had proven outdated, such as that there was more than one singular Code. Odd, for Father had always solely preached that one...

Sunningrocks was one such thing. In her Father's vivid descriptions of ThunderClan's territory, he had never detailed Sunningrocks, saying it was a part of RiverClan instead. What a surprise it had been to learn they were theirs, now! Triumphantly ThunderClan's!

Though this was cemented truth now, and committed to her heart like a marriage vow, Thundergleam had yet to hear as much of the story as she would like- so what a blessed coincidence that she was passing by the moment Roeflame was deciding to recount it. Delighted eyes of mallow-flower found the bronze-dotted molly, and she wove over with relative ease, breathless awe poured into the crevices of her moonlight voice. "If you would permit a grown-up to listen..." and she gave Roeflame a hopeful smile, searching her eyes for permission, a piercing red-pupilled look.
penned by pin ☾

BUT I'M JUST SO OUT OF MY DEPTH — History was, at least to Coalkit, important. Vitally important, even. The young tom was a firm believer in the phrase he'd heard parroted from Thunderclan's elders - if we forget history, we'll be doomed to repeat it. He had no intention of repeating the mistakes of the past, nor did he have any intention of letting his clanmates repeat them either. Though, of course, this meant that he needed to learn as much history as he could. It was why he often found himself lingering around the warriors' den, dark ears perked up and listening for any shreds of gossip from within. Perhaps that wasn't quite history, but he certainly believed that it would be eventually. Not to mention how fun it was to chat with Hopekit about all of it later.

Hopekit, whose shifting around was enough to rouse Coalkit from his half-slumber. He blinked weariness slowly from his eyes, chin lifting from the floor of the nursery as he tried to figure out what had caught his brother's attention so intensely. Their mother was offering up a story of her own, talking of past battles valitantly fought alongside familiar names. It was enough to pull him from his need to doze for the moment, not that he likely would've been able to anyways. Scarletkit's voice was already enough to wrench him fully from sleepiness, and the arrival of Burnstorm and Thundergleam only ensured he wouldn't pass right back out immediately.

Pushing himself upright felt like an almost momentous task for the moment, the black smoke eventually seeming to just slump freely against Hopekit's side. "I wanna hear too. Although I hope this is exciting..." Though he doubted Roeflame would've offered up her tale if it was boring, he always seemed primed to ready himself for disappointment.

• 81641257_cc6OVDHQigHNM4a.png
    shorthaired black smoke with forest green eyes
    amab; goes by he/him pronouns
    4 moons old; ages the 5th every month
    homosexual; not yet interested in romance
    son of leopardtongue and batwing
    brother to bravepaw, cougarpaw, hazepaw, foxpaw, and hopekit
    extremely difficult to befriend; cold and blunt
    "speech", thoughts, attacking
    peaceful powerplay allowed
    all opinions are ic

*+:。.。 Bugkit wasn't the type to care significantly about Thunderclans's history or politics, especially when the content revolved around war. Still, the girl was a sucker for stories, so at the prospect of missing out on one she was quick to waddle her way over. Plopping down beside Coalkit, Bugkit meowed, "Is it a scary story? Is there gonna be romance?" tail fluffing up at the thought. It doesn't hurt to ask! Then, more importantly than either of those questions, Bugkit leaned forward and asked, "were my mamma and pappa there, too?" Any story involving Flycatcher would hold all of Bugkit's attention. She bet her father was super cool in any tale, even the scary battle ones!

• GENERAL:
    Bugkit
    DFAB— She/Her
    5 moons — Ages 1 moon every month real-time
    Daughter to Flamewhisker and Flycatcher
    Sibling to Falconheart, Stormfeather, Lilykit, Butterflykit, Scorchedkit, Squirrelkit, Sunkit
    Thunderclan — Kit

COMBAT:
    Physically easy | mentally easy
    Attack in bold pink
    injuries: None currently

જ➶ Cool blues are serene as the tom tries his best to wrangle in a pelt that is literally having none or it. Normally it takes him a while before he can get his pelt to actually calm down and do as he wants it. Tangles of fur being straightened out with the diligence of a warm pink tongue that drags almost methodically. It's tiring honestly and after a long moment of silence he finally gives up for the moment. Those same blues shift over camp and he allows his large form to shift before he pushes himself to his paws after seeing the small group forming near the nursery. It appears that Roeflame is going to tell a story and he pauses in his steps, thinking and debating before finally joining the group. The story about Sunningrocks is potentially a bloody one and he isn't sure if it is a good one for kits.

But he holds his tongue and settles down. "I hope I'm not intruding.." His always low voice leaves his maw as he wraps his thick tail around his body. Thunderclan deserved Sunningrocks in his opinion. The prey is on their side of the river and so is the rocks so why not it belong to Thunderclan. Riverclan doesn't need it anyway with all the fish they gobble up all day long.

The sun is so nice and warm today. Golden light seeps through the tree cover, drenching camp in gilt and warming everything to a tawny color and toasty temperature . . . Coltkit could get lost in this, he has to admit. The soft purpling blue sky above looks so friendly, studded with low - drifting cream clouds that look like the soft white puff - balls that the nursery's newest kits resemble. He lets himself loll, a ribbon of liquid blue - black - white, a pulled - taffy stormcloud spiling over the tender greenleaf grass in front of the nursery. Powder - blue irises slide lazily about, taking in everything and nothing at all, shielded behind low - riding white lashes that are still plush and feathery with kithood newness.

He gives no mind at all, really, to the silvered - cinnamon queen and the other kits basking in the sweet light of the dying sun. That is, until . . .

" Battle? " Polydactyl paws slam into the earth with a soft thump as Coltkit whips himself off the ground and over to Roeflame in one smooth, lithe movement that's startling on such a little body. Puppyish, a budding bottlebrush wags behind him, dog - like ears flopping as he stands on tiptoe to peer at the coppery queen's scar, unabashed. Worming close past the likes of . . . Redkit, he thinks her name is ( maybe? maybe . . . ), it's as energetic as any of these cats have probably ever seen Coltkit act; the foundling is given over to lounging in the sun and sleeping through games and lessons, no matter how his denmates might yell.

" Yeah, I wanna hear about it, " he agrees with Scarletkit ( that's it! ), fluffy tail thumping the ground eagerly where he sits. Total disregard is all that he gives to Burnstorm, Thundergleam, and Bluestride . . . the adults are forgotten, and his fellow kits barely remembered. Coalkit is typically a drag, with his yelling about the importance of all the lessons he keeps sleeping through, and his yapping about boring stuff like history 'n things; but Coltkit is uncaring as he's wedged between where the leaning brothers and Bugkit sit in a little clump and Scarletkit. His tail whips back and forth, kicking up shreds of grass and whacking the ground, his whole body suffused with every drop of energy he's seemed totally uninterested in his kithood thus far. " C'mon, Roeflame, tell us! "

A battle . . . the queens tell him he's too little to play - fight with the other kits yet, but just the idea of it is . . . something, he doesn't have a word for it. All he knows is the fuzzy world sharpens, all that stuff that's not important totally fading to the background in favor of the battle story.

OOC :

Unlike her peers, Merlinkit was far from enchanted from the life of a warrior. Bloodshed and fighting seemed far too scary for her to comprehend. She certainly didn't want to hurt any cat, no matter what sort of allegiance they belonged to. Besides, why couldn't everyone just get along and not fight all the time? The naive kitten hardly understood why the world was the way it was, as if she had simply been born outside of it, and speckles og a gaze simply turned inwards to behold it. The prospects of war loomed over the young girl, like a sword levied just upon the fluff of her throat, so close that she could almost feel oppressive metal sink into her skin. Soon, she would outgrow her kitten down and become an apprentice. Soon, she would have to train underneath the watchful supervision of a battle-hardened warrior. Soon, she would have to fight in her mentor's stead... "I... wanna hear. I hope it's not scary." The blue tortoiseshell sepia padded over to the growing crowd of kittens, all waiting upon the front to get their fill of wartime stories, bearing bated breath and kaleidoscope eyes. She faltered a little after her peers, preferring to sit in a quieter patch of the nursery, as though the fears of battle would not defeat her spirit if she simply hid from it. She hoped the story was not as scary as Bugkit had asked Roeflame about, but seeing the gnarly wound that lasted on the older warrior's face was enough to scare the wits out of Merlinkit.

-ˋˏ ༻ ☀ ༺ ˎˊ-
dd766ql-e8b06172-29d0-498a-b782-e139a0acd9eb.gif
Like fireflies to starlight, her bait is caught by not just kittens, but her mate and Thundergleam come forward as well. While the kits settle, Roeflame would shoot both of them a warm smile and a quiet nod, beckoning Burnstorm closer until he takes his place beside her. Questions swirl from simmering children, and Roeflame only clears her throat to instigate a pause. “Alright, alright…” the queen hums, the reluctance in her voice only for play. Coalkit hopes for something exciting, but Bugkit’s rapid-fire questions pull a reminiscent grin onto rounded features. “They were.” She purrs, welcoming Bluestride with a beckoning forelimb. “It was a cool new-leaf day, I was still an apprentice under Flycatcher-” Roeflame spares a smirk in Bugkits direction, “and he permitted me to join alongside my co-apprentice, Burnpaw.” As she speaks, she realizes that there is almost a certain irony to the way all the strings somehow loop together, she flicks her tail against her mates. Bugkits question about romance bubbles in the back of her mind. “Howlingstar, Nightbird, and another noble warrior named Sunfreckle basked in the rocks, waiting for a RiverClan patrol to spot them. When they did, Howlingstar said no, Sunningrocks belongs to the oak forest, we will fight for the land that is ours. ” Not a perfect repetition, but the tabby leaders speech that day could still send a spark of adrenaline down Roeflame’s spine. “RiverClan, of course, did not give in then, but little did they know that the rest of us lay just below the undergrowth, watching and ready to pounce.”

“When the RiverClan patrol sent for reinforcements, Cicadastar himself came to challenge Howlingstar. treat them like the trespassers they are he commanded.” Her voice drops an octave, mimicking the vicious river lands king with a shake of her head. “That was our cue, as Riverclanners dove into the river and onto our side, we sprung from the shadows and took them head on.” She can still remember the sound of bodies clashing as the two rival clans threw themselves at each other. “I found myself in front of another RiverClan apprentice, a scrawny little thing. He got a lucky jab in and nearly split my eye right open!” A forepaw moves to cover her scarred optic for a moment, and her eye is blinking away crimson again. “I could barely see, but I got the upper-paw and chased the RiverClanner right back into the river.” Whether it was the truth or fable, Roeflame can’t quite remember. “Then- everything fell still. Howlingstar was on the Sunningrocks, it looked as though she was sleeping, but she has been touched by the stars, and blessed with nine lives to protect ThunderClan.” Another pause, letting her words churn in young minds. “She awoke and did just that, ThunderClan had won Sunningrocks, and we still hold them to this day. When you’re apprenticed you’ll be able to feel the warmth of its smooth surface, and catch the mice that run aplenty in between its nooks and cranny’s.” The idea brings a sudden burst of energy to the queen, imagining letting her kits splash in the cool shallows of the river and soak the sun atop the boulders. Soon.

• ROEFLAME she/her, Lead Warrior of Thunderclan, twenty-two moons.
    petite cinnamon silver ticked tabby with murky green eyes & a small scar over her left eye.
    mate to Burnstorm ☀ mentor to Foxpaw
    peaceful and healing powerplay permitted ☀ underline and tag when attacking
    penned by Noor@toyangel on discord, feel free to dm for plots.

Listening in to Roeflame tell the story of how they came to claim Sunningrocks, Rowanthorn finds himself reminiscing the battle as well. He had scars that had been inflicted on him, then, a reminder of ThunderClan's triumph over their fish-breath neighbors. It had been many moons since then...

"Do you think they will ever try to take it back?" He muses, curling his tail around his large body. Had RiverClan given up on it, or could Lichenstar be planning something with her warriors? Rowanthorn prayed that was not true, but Cicadastar was a madman and nothing stopped his successors from being just as mad for a landmark that was rightfully ThunderClan's.
  • // #FF7661
  • A muscular and chubby scarred chocolate tabby tom with striking copper eyes.
  • ROWANTHORN — 35 moons, warrior of ThunderClan. Ages every 31st.

Scarletkit ignores the other kits that gather, too focused on Roeflame’s tale to pay any attention to them. She listens intently, her wide eyes sparkling excitedly. The tortoiseshell leans forward, her whiskers twitching with curiosity. "Did you really chase a RiverClan apprentice into the river? That sounds so brave!" Her mind buzzes with endless questions, her tiny claws twitching as she imagines the thrill of battle. "What was it like to be there? I can't wait to be an apprentice and go to Sunningrocks myself!" Her tail flicks with anticipation. Soon!

Tilting her head at Rowanthorn's words, Scarletkit’s ears prick up with interest. A look of concern threatens to wipe the excitement off her face - she hadn’t thought about that possibility. RiverClan sounded fierce…but ThunderClan is stronger, right? “We won Sunningrocks once, we can do it again if we need to!" She chirps with determination flashing in a bicolored gaze. She ponders for a moment, her young mind racing with images of warriors clashing and the sound of victory when it’s all said and done, enemies running with their tails between their legs. "What if they did come back? Would you be ready to fight again?" She looks to the warriors, sure she already knows the answer. They’re always ready to defend the territory. One day, she’ll be right there with them, fighting off intruders valiantly. They’re so cool, and she wants to be just like them!