would that I ☼ scorchedkit

-ˋˏ ༻ ☀ ༺ ˎˊ-
dd766ql-e8b06172-29d0-498a-b782-e139a0acd9eb.gif
Admittedly, it had taken Roeflame a bit to notice it, the sudden change in Scorchedkits demeanor. It was difficult to notice anything but the obvious these days, and it wasn’t until the night before that the kits aversion towards her had become glaring. Roeflame was more than happy to fetch her own food, and when she had brought a plump squirrel back to the nursery with the intention of offering it to Flamewhiskers kits and her own, the tension that plagued her former mentors daughter had made Roeflame herself uneasy, the shift in the child’s behavior had been so swift with her arrival- perhaps she had done something to offend Scorchedkit?
If it had been any other cats daughter, Roeflame may have been able to shrug the abnormality of it all off her shoulders- but this was Flamewhiskers and Flycatchers child, the latter had been the closest thing to any sort of paternal figure in the rockiness that had been the brassy queens youth, their children were the last part of him Thunderclan had left in the living world.
She waits until Scorchedkit is alone before approaching, not wanting to question the she-kit in front of her littermates and peers, she makes her arrival as casual as possible, settling down on her stomach beside Scorchedkit. “Is everything alright with you, hun?” Roeflame had never been one to speak softly, but today she makes her tone drip with honey, genuine concern clouding sage hues. Any tension that nipped in the air would be met with a small but puzzled frown. “Have I done something to offend you? You can tell me, I won’t be upset.” If it was all in the queens head, she doesn’t doubt how silly she would be looking, so fretful over an assumption- but, the anxiety that radiates from the kitten is undoubtedly there.

• @Scorchedkit

• ROEFLAME she/her, Lead Warrior of Thunderclan, twenty-two moons.
    petite cinnamon silver ticked tabby with murky green eyes & a small scar over her left eye.
    mate to Burnstorm ☀ mentor to Foxpaw
    peaceful and healing powerplay permitted ☀ underline and tag when attacking
    penned by Noor@toyangel on discord, feel free to dm for plots.

Her fellow denmates finished eating their portion of fresh squirrel several minutes ago. Growing tired of waiting for her to finish she watched them depart the nursery with a complacent shrug of her shoulders. She was never one to rush a meal, preferring to enjoy each savory bite allotted to her. Her tongue swiped across her lips, clearing the final remnants of the squirrel from her whiskers. Gingerly she pushed herself up from a crouch to a sit, lifting a dark paw to begin some idle grooming. Slow methodical licks were applied to her paw before brushing the crown of her head and fluffy cheeks. Moving on she gave her chest a quick lick or two before a small smile touched her lips as she gazed outside. Someone had already started a game of mossball and teams were being picked. If she hurried she could join the lineup before it was too late.

However, she did not anticipate the shadow of Roeflame to suddenly loom over her. Scorchedkit's body jolted, visibly spooked as she looked up at the queen with thinly veiled horror. "I-I was just leaving, I promise..." She stuttered hastily, gathering herself to her paws and moving a couple steps away. Anxiety immediately clings to her pelt with a vice-grip hold, displayed in the way her kitten fluff puffs around her shoulders and tail. She'd done well to remain under the queen's radar, or so she thought. Either way, she didn't want to attract any possible ire from the lead warrior, so Scorchedkit was fully prepared to shuffle out of the den. If it had not been for the cinnamon-ticked tabby lying down beside her rigid frame.

Honeyed words drip into her ears, the queen's tone softer than downy feathers, and she hesitates. Trapped by the sweet demeanor Roeflame put off, Scorchedkit dares to linger a little longer. "Have I done something to offend you? You can tell me, I won't be upset." The child teeters the line between trust and skepticism and briefly considers running outside anyway. Besides the queen's given word, how could she know for sure Roeflame wouldn't become upset? "You promise...?" The tortoiseshell uttered in a fine whisper, eyeing the lead with hesitancy.
̶̶̶̶  «̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ «̶ ̶̶̶   thunderclan kit / three months / she/her  ̶ ̶ ̶»̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ »̶ ̶̶̶  

-ˋˏ ༻ ☀ ༺ ˎˊ-
Any doubt Roeflame had in her decision to approach is quickly squandered when Scorchedkit practically jumps out of her pelt upon her arrival, the queen flinches slightly, caught off-guard by the kittens own jolt.
What in the stars name had she done to this poor child? Unease creases in the tabby’s brow for a fleeting moment, unable to stop the deepening of her soft frown when she hears the tremble in Scorchedkits voice.
”O-of course, you can tell me anything, Scorchedkit.” The queens reply is earnest, her head tilting, “You and your siblings are very important to me, little one, but you’re practically shaking just sitting near me. If something is wrong I’d like to fix it.” After having a heartbeat to regain the delicate composure she had approach this conversation with, Roeflame makes an effort to hold the kittens gaze, confusion and concern still weighing heavy on her brow bones.

petite cinnamon silver ticked tabby with murky green eyes & a small scar over her left eye.

Silence shrouds the young tortoiseshell as she regards Roeflame's words, quietly unpacking her earnest reply. She seemed genuine enough, which allowed Scorchedkit's tense posture to ease into something more neutral. But the statement that tumbled from the tabby's lips did not seem to entirely match what she displayed the night Sparrowkit kicked her side and forced her from the nest. She blinks, a small frown wiping away the initial terror etched across her features. Eyes of blue and green fall to her paws. "You were gonna punish me when Sparrowkit kicked me and I fell out the nest." She states almost begrudgingly, intentionally leaving out how none of it seemed fair. There was no need to bring that up.

Her paw shuffles, trailing an aimless line through the soft dirt floor they stood upon to disperse some of her nerves. "I..don't like when cats are upset with me." She confessed, allowing the aggravated shouts from several other kits that night to play in her mind. None of them, barring Tornadokit and Ivorykit, cared about her aching side or crushed feelings. All they wanted was for her to be quiet so they could sleep. Black and orange splashed ears droop briefly as her paw stops its circling motion. "And I just don't want you to fuss at me again." So she avoids her. Along with Beetlekit, Deerkit, and Sparrowkit. Slowly, she sits back on her rump, dark tail sweeping around to cradle herself in a self-soothing manner.
̶̶̶̶  «̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ «̶ ̶̶̶   thunderclan kit / three months / she/her  ̶ ̶ ̶»̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ »̶ ̶̶̶  

-ˋˏ ༻ ☀ ༺ ˎˊ-
Though her own anticipation hangs heavily in the air, Roeflame doesn’t say a word as she watches her words churn over in Scorchedkit’s mind.
You were gonna punish me when Sparrowkit kicked me and I fell out the nest. For a moment, confusion clouds over Roeflame’s gaze, and the queen has to retreat into her own memories for a moment, trying to remember…
Ah. Understanding for what the kitten was referring to finally clicks, and her maw parts with a small sound, an alternative way to communicate I see.
Roeflame cannot deny that she understands where Scorchedkit was coming from, empathizes even. Had the queen come off so harshly, that night? Her mind was clouded with sleep, unable to focus on anything but her and her kittens disrupted sleep, watching Scorchedkit and Sparrowkit squabble while frantically shaking at Flamewhisker. Roeflames soft demeanor doesn’t shift, and for a moment the queen only nods. “I see, and I understand where you’re coming from, I do.” Roeflame starts, words carefully chosen. “What Sparrowkit had done wasn’t okay, and you were right to stand up for yourself, in fact it was incredibly brave.” The tabby molly reassures, taking a steady breath as she contemplates her own perspective on the story. “It’s hard to be in that situation, from the outside looking in, when I woke up all I could see what two littermates arguing when they should have been sleeping.” Roeflame shifts, gauging Scorchedkits receptivity to what she was saying, “It’s important to stand up for yourself and ask for help when you need it, and I am truly sorry for discouraging that. While it is also important to be mindful when sharing a space with so many, sometimes our emotions get so big, others around us can feel it, and sometimes they don’t see the full picture. My intention was to correct what I saw as the issue at paw, but I never meant to scare you or make you fear me. Does that make sense?” Another pause, awaiting a cue to elaborate.