WRITTEN IN THE STARS (meeting 4/2)

She's merely happy to see Howlingstar alive and well. (Clearly, still straining–) Wolfwind shakes her head. She's so unlike how Wolfwind had seen her before, that startling dullness in the eyes– (No more. No more). Wolfwind's face is soft at the sight of her, and she allows herself to slip into a small smile. Focused as she is, she nearly misses– "Holy shit, Sloepaw?"

Her eyes snap forward. Not Sloepaw– Sloestride. And... the meaning is completely lost on her. To know one in particular, she mutters with quirked brows. "Eh...? S' kinda mean, isn't it?" Not that it was entirely inaccurate. If you asked her, anyways.

The call for her woefully named little cousins never fails to make her grimace, but its their time, shit name or not. Speaking of, she was glad the little Dogbait kittens were given names of their own. They were less like a scary nighttime story now.

But oh, it isn't all. Lead warriors.

Unmatched loyalty. She knew it. Looked up to Raccoonstripe for the very same reason. So why did it send a pang in her heart for that title to be given to another. Of course he deserved lead warrior. Certainly he did, but Nightbird? She wasn't so much older than Wolfwind. Wasn't so much stronger are so much wiser. They had both been on that damn patrol, hadn't they?

But, stars, what has Wolfwind been doing these past few moons but dragging her feet?

Wolfwind suddenly feels small. And her feet drag, and her tail curls around her paws. How old was she even now?

Where did the time go? "Raccoonstripe...!" She sighs, resigned to what she's been. "...Nightbird."

War weighin' on my heart but I can't fall
Silverlightning nods his head in agreement with Flycatcher as he treads alongside the tom. "You and I both." Silverlightning comes to sit among the group of cats sitting beneath Howlingstar's lengthy shadow. Grey eyes trail upward, ears angled to listen as announcements are given and others are promoted. Racoonstripe and Nightbird. He could see why Howlingstar chose them both, they were dedicated and hardworking. Excellent choices. Littlewolf's children along with several others walk into apprenticeship and he nods shallowly as those around him cheer. Normalcy was coming back to the clan once more and that was all he could honestly ask for.
Seekin' shelter from the storm on this blank road

THIS WEIGHT ON MY NECK MAKES IT HARD TO CONNECT
The sight of his mentor, pelt thick with a sort of medicinal armour, standing high above their clan brought a breath of relief to Sloepaw. It wasn’t better yet, but it was getting there. Moons of hardship were growing slick in his memory, a balmy, mutinous weight he had yet to sort through. Definitely in need of some spring cleaning, and this meeting would do the job.

He knew what was coming. Short frame slightly stiff with nerves, the apprentice trod towards the centre of the clearing at the mention of his name.

‘I, Howlingstar, leader of ThunderClan, call upon my warrior ancestors to look down on these apprentices’ A glint overtook the narrow tom’s gaze. In another life he would never have learnt of starclan, how they could prop up the strongest in the forest with their magic. You’d’ve laughed back then, his mind whispered. Flickering screens that wept stagnant light onto his old nest, roaring monsters- it was all at odds with the reality he lived in now. There was no question he would stay with Thunderclan for as long as he breathed. There hadn’t been for a long while.

Their leader called on him and Roepaw further, asking for their vow to the clan. Sloepaw had seen it so many times, but it was his turn now. "Yes." He tried not to notice the edges of his whiskers tremoring, or how they framed his bowed head with a sense of reverence.

Dusky nose low, it took the tom a moment to register snow-on-cedar paws before him. Sloepaw met Howlingstar’s stalwart gaze and tried not to blink at the wave of emotion that struck him. Sloestride. The fit of it, it slipped into place like a paw along a worn trail. In a rare spur of smooth, unfettered confidence the new warrior licked his mentor’s shoulder. Her pride settled on him without fight. "Thank you, I- I couldn’t have asked for anyone better." He wanted to say so much more- pour his gratitude where it overflowed.

Sloestride settled on his haunches. A wide look was shot to Roeflame beside him as the clan roared their new names. Despite the tortuous need to flatten his ears, the warrior kept them up to take it in- though not without an obvious wince.

With Howlingstar stepping back to Highrock, he took his leave from the attention. More ceremonies come and go and he finds himself calling out in encouragement for each. Nightbird and Raccoonstripe seemed good picks, he’d listen to them. Really, it was all a blur. Sloestride. Might’ve taken a bit, but he was a warrior now. He'd do everything he could to keep up the trust passed to him and be a good one.

.°❁ YOU TOLD ME 'BOUT NOWHERE

Roeflame and Sloestride -- he cheers their name with the rest. Just as loud, just as enthusiastic. Push down the bitterness. He's happy for them, he really is. He listens to the apprenticing of the kits with half an ear, jitteriness making him hope for the meeting to end. But then -- the Dogbaits. That catches his attention. New names for each, that's... not surprising. Dog bait is a cruel name, after all. He's called them by it, of course, since it seems to be important, but he knew this day was coming regardless. Even given the kindest name, the children would have to be changed in order to be accepted here. Clan-names only.

And, well, admittedly he likes the names that Howlingstar grants them. Oakkit and Acornkit... The reasoning is the same as his own name: taking an aspect of their new home, and wearing it as emblem. I am one of you now, all three names say. Yet he chose his. He wanted to become a forest-cat, and the name Lichen is a declaration of that. The Dogbaits have little choice in the matter, and Dogbait the first seemed very attached to his existing name. The happiness he wants to feel for them is wary, as he peers at the kits. What do they think of these new names?

WELL IT SOUNDS LIKE SOMEPLACE I'D LIKE TO GO ! .°❁

• //
  • LICHENPAW named for the lichen on the trees of his home.
    — he/him or they/them. 8 moons.
    — thunderclan apprentice, mentored by sunnyday.
    — bears a near-permanent nervous grin.

primary character, medium-high activity. penned by saturnid.​
  • Untitled82_20230206025231.png