a little bit of luck [hunting patrol - openish?]

Jul 20, 2022

Untitled253-20220815165307.png

I WANT SOMETHING JUST LIKE THIS

OOC- along with those who were specifically tagged, anyone who did not get assigned to a patrol during last weeks sign ups is welcome to join in if they so choose, as this does take place in Windclan territory, so technically anyone can come across the hunting patrol and join in or bug them XD It's just closed to anyone whose already a part of another patrol, as they wouldn't be in the territory at the time. @CHICKENSCRATCH @LARKTREK @ROSEPAW If you guys want, your welcome to use a dice roller thingy to determine weather your cat catches the prey its hunting- its what i like to do with Dusk to keep things fun and random. I just roll a 10-sided dice online and the higher the roll the better his hunt was, with 1-3 being a total failure, 4-7 being a sloppy but successful hunt, and 8-10 being a successful, top tier hunt. This is entirely optional though, and you can choose for your cats hunt to go however you please :)

------------------------------

With the patrols for the day sorted out and assigned, it was time for Duskfire to take care of his own. The copper-gold tom had chosen to lead the hunting patrol, not only interested in seeing what Chicken and Lark could do, but curious as to weather he'd finally be able to catch a rabbit. Not to mention this would be a good chance to gauge was his apprentice new as well. He definitely wanted to get Rosepaw familiarized with the borders, but there was still tension revolving around them and he wanted to make sure the other was well-equipped for any potential trouble they might run into. Best to get them used to things at a reasonable pace, right?

"You guys ready to go?" he asked, turning to the trio of cats and offering them a smile that he hoped was reassuring but probably looked more awkward than anything. He still wasn't great at this whole socializing things, but nobody could say he wasn't trying.

It helped a bit that Rosepaw was someone he was familiar with, though he tried to ignore how embarrassing it actually was to find comfort in the presence of a kid that he was technically responsible for now. He couldn't help it though. His apprentice was at least familiar with him and how bad he was at the whole 'socializing without seeming like a weirdo' thing, whereas Lark and Chicken were two cats he'd never really spoken to or spent time with. He could admit that it was one of the reasons he'd chosen them, knowing full well he could have surrounded himself with familiar faces and called it a day, but what good would that do? Dusk didn't want to only talk to the same three or four cats every day. And as the clans new Deputy he probably should get over the whole 'awkwardness' involving strangers, right?

Well, hopefully this didn't backfire.

windclan warrior - male - 17 months - homosexual - polyamorous - single - tall, strong bengal tomcat

Rosepaw was very nervouse right now that he would make a fool out of himself in front of everyone especially his mentor. He knew very well the pressure that was put on his shoulders by being the Deputy's apprentice out of all cats...something his littermates and older siblings constantly reminded him about. It was really putting alot of stress on this small shoulders of his. Still, he was very excited too because he would get to learn from Duskfire today. Of course from the others as well but it was his mentor the cinnamon keept most of his attention on. Standing not far away from the Deputy the small tom would nod his head at them. " I-i'm ready...i think." he didn't sounded confident at the end and would frown at himself. No!. Think positive. Positive thoughts...He could do this...he knew he could...Everyone expected him to do so. And there come the overwhelming pressure again. He couldn't screw up today.

TELL ME, HOW DOES A MAN CHANGE THE UNIVERSE?
Hunting? With the deputy? That's what this was, right? A hunting patrol?
Without much at all for thought his paws begin to carry him over.

Molepaw wasn't confident in himself with many things... but hunting, he was amazing at it! It was the one skill he felt he had and could use to impress cats. He wanted nothing more than to be accepted as a true WindClan cat, so if he could impress the gaze of the deputy he imagined that'd boost his reputation here quite a bit!

"I'll come with!" He blurts- though instantly regretting it, you weren't invited, bird brain. "I- can I come?"" Swiftly he corrects, the skin underneath his fur burning rosy.

bT1YiAw.png
This was turning into the Duskfire babysitting service and he was about to add to it. "Ah'll come along to!" The sepia point siddled up alongside Rosepaw with a friendly shoulder bump and cheerful bob of his head in greeting. The other apprentice's unease wafted off him almost like a fear scent and he really felt for the guy a lot. Having the deputy as a mentor must feel really overwhelming at times, like you had to fit some higher standard, but he highly doubted Duskfire was going to push some lofty requirements on Rosepaw that the other mentors didn't do. "Ye know, Grackledive said I get a little too uppity with me jumps sometimes so I figure I need more hunting practice. Fell on my face the other day." Which was true, he got excited when he spotted prey and sometimes moved faster than he ought to and sprang out sooner than he was ready and the result was sometimes he caught it anyways really awkwardly but mostly he startled it off and made a plum fool of himself.
"Molepaw, they teach you the hunter's crouch yet?" He turned briefly from Rosepaw to flick his tail at the other apprentice in a hello, motioning for him to come on over with them. "Do either of ye get yer paws backwards or is that jus' me?"

Larktrek knows the moorlands.

Though a wanderer, it was in the moorlands he was born. And, after his mother passed one stormy night, it was in the moorlands he stayed.

The brown and white tom's fairly experienced in catching prey amid the hilly plains - of chasing rabbits and catching swooping birds. So, when Duskfire called on him to join in on the deputy's hunting patrol, Larktrek was eager to accept. It would be his first proper chance to hunt in the plains since arriving back home from his temporary stay in SkyClan - injuries from the Great Battle still needing their chance to heal, especially after the long journey back to the fields.

"I'm ready if you are," he tells the spotted deputy in response to his question, pale blue eyes looking towards the other two patrol members to see if they were ready, only to find that two had become four, with the addition of Molepaw and Dandelionpaw. The two are asking to join the hunting group, and Larktrek looks towards Duskfire for the answer. He doesn't mind, but he's sure it's the deputy's choice.

A single intact ear flicks at Dandelionpaw's words - of how his training's been going.

"Try to spring forward, instead of springing up," he offers the information to the sepia point. He isn't sure if it's something Grackledive's already taught him, but if so, maybe a reminder wouldn't hurt either? Larktrek isn't sure. "Going upwards takes longer, and doesn't let you cover as much ground. Lets the rabbits get away easier too, because you're taking too long."

Last edited:

It's her first real hunt.

Or, at least. First real hunt as a WindClanner. Not... Not because she's never hunted anything other than barn mice before, or anything! And most definitely not because her twolegs would feed her whatever bits and bobs of their leftovers they could, all mixed into the dry pellets they'd pour into her bowl.

Okay, so, maybe Chickenscratch is nervous. And, maybe Chickenscratch's nerves are only being made worse by the fact that it's the deputy of WindClan that is leading the patrol, that called on her to be part of the hunting group.

How silly will she look in front of Duskfire - in front of the rest of the hunting group - if she is unable to catch anything?

At least his apprentice is coming along. Perhaps he'll be too busy watching Rosepaw instead?

And then two more come along - Molepaw and Dandelionpaw. More apprentices means more of a chance eyes will be on them instead when she ultimately fails to catch a rabbit, or a bird, or, anything else that lives in the moors. Perhaps she should've been named Chickenpaw instead, she thinks. It would reflect how ill-prepared she is for the hunting group, anyway.

"I don't mind if you join us," she tells the new additions, hoping that Duskfire will say the same, that she'll do at least slightly better than all these apprentices. She's sure their mentors have been teaching them well though, that their moorland hunting skills would quickly surpass hers.

Last edited: