ONLY PLACE I CALL HOME ✧ pre-gathering chatter

Flycatcher never imagined he would be sat here again, certainly not so soon after stepping down. But with Flamewhisker due to kit in the coming weeks and Howlingstar out of commission thanks to the wolves. He is surprised to see Smogmaw covering for Chilledstar again and wonders quietly to himself if the ShadowClan leader was alright, recalling not having seen them at the previous gathering. There is a lot on the minds of many of the ThunderClan cats here but he's glad to see his clanmates mingling about and still conversing with the other clans.

Flycatcher is not kept in his own thoughts for long and he turns with a gentle smile to look at Twitchbolt - who despite his age was actually one of the genuine deputies sat here tonight - and one of the WindClan lead warriors. Since his mate had been brought up a lot, he decided to answer the questions about whether she was alright first. "Flamewhisker is due to have our kits by the next moon, so she's resting in the nursery, " He explained, looking at Twitchbolt first, and then Rattleheart. "She is otherwise well but is a little tired as is to be expected." At least the kits would be here soon but then Flamewhisker would be a different kind of tired. As his mind thinks of Howlingstar, his brow creases briefly. "Howlingstar is recovering from recent injuries from the wolves," He mewed, not going into much detail beyond that. Raccoonstripe had told the clan not to share too much about their losses and Flycatcher was keen to stick to that. "Raccoonstripe will no doubt explain more when he gives the announcements."

His gaze softens again as he asks, "And how fares your clans?"

/ speaking with @TWITCHBOLT @RATTLEHEART

Downypaw takes a deep breath. In, out. In, out. Though they try their best to filter it, the scents of Fourtrees and the other clans are overwhelming, a torrential downpour that washes away any trace of cool, familiar dirt from their nose. They almost resist the urge to sneeze, so overclocked are their senses. The moors are an endless, empty canvas of sky and grass, the tunnels black and blank and soothing. Here, though, the wind is hampered by the miniscule tangles in trees, firs and maples brushing pelts as the crowd below them does, their voices chittering and rebounding across more figures they’d ever seen in WindClan’s camp at once, animate and inanimate.

In the controlled chaos, they pick out the white of Rattleheart’s smile towards them, but they refuse to let themself latch onto it. ”Right,” they respond, twitching the black tip of their puffy tail. Or else StarClan would…do something. It was unnerving to think that StarClan would rather intervene in a petty squabble between destined enemies than a war between a clan and its dictator. ”I’ll be fine,” the tiny she-cat reassures him. ”I’ll see you after the Gathering.”

Right now they feel as though they’re hovering on the edge of something, the thin line between mere anxiety and outright unrestrained insanity, lashing out into the blur and squiggles of cats invading their ears and nose and eyes—but they wouldn’t burden Rattleheart with that. Instead, they force their ears and whiskers to relax, to stop stretching towards every little bit of stimulation, and paint a polite little smile on their face as they walk away from him. Away from their mentor, the cats around them seem to grow even larger and shadowier. They’d always known they were short, but that’d been when they were surrounded by WindClanners, allegedly the shortest of the clans. And here, they were the shortest of the short. Still, they carry themself with a level head and even gaze as they search for someone to talk to.

ooc: was talking to @RATTLEHEART , open to interactions, preferably with apprentices!​

Another gathering... How lovely. Salmon hasn't attended one since she had Moonpaw- which thank the Stars, because she hates this place. Salmon hates being social with cats outside her clan, and even then she doesn't personally talk to many cats outside of Snakeblink or Lichentail... Salmon flicks an ear as Riverclan arrives together and mostly disperses just as fast as the tide recedes. Her gaze lingers on Lichentail as the molly clambers to the spot where the deputies sit... And her eyes flicker across all of them, together, noticing that the line-up has changed quite a bit. Most notably, there is no gray tom for Thunderclan, instead a brown tabby...

Salmonshade does not dwell on it. Not her business, anyways...

As chatter begins to erupt, Salmon takes a brief moment to slink away, ivory paws swiftly carrying her through the crowd. Too many cats. She'd much rather be back at camp... Once she reaches a spot not too crowded by cats, she takes a seat, drawing a tongue over her chest fur in slight frustration. She'd just sit here and wait for the gathering to commence, which she hopes is soon. She has an early morning, after all...

• // open to interactions, otherwise just observing
  • 70831649_t0YE8lpgGiTPlyS.png
    salmon ,, salmonshade
    cis female ,, she/her ,, 37 months
    warrior of riverclan ,, former marsh grouper
    fluffy & dainty chocolate tortie smoke with white, blue eyes
    "speech, ff91a4" ,, thoughts
    lesbian ,, single
    smells like warm flowers & freshly cut grass
    chibi by pin

AS HE RAISED HIS FIST BEFORE HE SPOKEShe's resting in the nursery. Flycatcher's words caused relief to flood through Rattleheart, so unexpectedly strong that one would thing the stand-in deputy was talking about a Windclan warrior, rather than Thunderclan's deputy. Yet the tunneler couldn't help it - after the brutality of seeing those terrible creatures, and watching a cat fling themself over the edge of the gorge without hesitation, he had needed some hope. A sign that Starclan hadn't just forsaken one of the other clans to death and destruction that they had no way of combatting. His shoulders noticeably sagged as he let out the breath he had been holding, a faint chuckle leaving him. "I'm glad to hear that. I can't imagine how exhausted she must be, but I hope her kitting goes well." Faintly, he wondered what the pair would end up naming their kits. Names that highlighted Thunderclan strength even after all that they had been through?

That seemed most natural to him, though it seemed likely he would find out what they were once the next full moon hung high in the sky. Unless some other unforetold tragedy ended up ravaging Thunderclan, though for once he found himself genuinely wishing for the stability of another group.

The mention of Howlingstar was enough to solidify that hope, his ears briefly flicking back as he wondered just how injured their leader had truly ended up. Had she gotten lucky, and only ended up with a few new scars from an encounter? Or, more likely, had she ended up losing a life - or more - to the massive fangs of those vicious beasts? Rattleheart didn't brother pressing, knowing that even if he did such information was unlikely to be offered up. Instead he just wrapped his tail tightly around his paws, nodding as his eyes searched the crowd for familiar Thunderclan faces. "I hope she recovers well... I know those wolves were vicious." A shiver ran down his spine, forcing his claws into the ground and thankfully not into the messy fluff of his striped tail - or the flowers adorning it.

Talking about Windclan was, for once, a welcome relief. Flycatcher's questioning caused him to grin, one white paw lifting so that he could gesture towards his similarly decorated clanmates. "Windclan has been faring well, thankfully. We've been allowed time to rebuild and recover, and it seems that Starclan has blessed us this season with unexpected wildflower growth. It's been very beautiful... if not a bit of a pain to deal with, considering all the pollen." He was sure the other clans were dealing with similar issues, albeit on a more limited scale. Shadowclan was the only group he could think of that likely wouldn't be, although he wasn't entirely sure. What kind of plants even did end up growing in the marshlands that they called home?

// speaking with @Flycatcher

• 75034712_8183RsjuzqJmQXv.png
    longhaired black and white tom with pale green eyes
    49 moons old; ages the 1st every month
    afab; uses he/she/they pronouns
    homosexual homoromantic; mated to venomstrike
    sibling to scorchstreak, lizardbounce, and rabbitclaw
    currently mentoring downypaw
    somewhat difficult to befriend; wary but kind
    "speech", thoughts, attacking
    peaceful powerplay allowed
    all opinions are ic

Another full moon, another gathering. Frostbite enters the clearing with Shadowclan as he always does, perfect posture and head held high. He's curious to hear how Windclan is doing with their new leader. He's been curious ever since Sunstar took over. Were the moors finally going to be washed of the constant bloodspill that tormented it? He's unsure. Windclan has left scars and wounds that won't simply heal with new leadership. He could care less of the other clans, none have harmed them as much as Windclan.

Taking his spot amongst the lead warriors, he looks around. Every gathering he's reminded of how he doesn't like crowds. Look at all these cats. No, he will not be conversing if he can help it.

((Open to interactions even if he doesnt want to! ))​

Gatherings were stressful. They were full of cats he didn't know and there were too many of them. They were noisy and sometimes intense. Ptarmiganpaw only goes because Maggotfur goes, and even though she's a little prickly, he feels safe around her. He follows her into the clearing, fully planning to sit beside her the whole time in silence. When she tells him to converse with other apprentices away from her if he chooses to, he gets the feeling she is sending him away to be left in peace.

But who is he supposed to talk to!!

He doesn't know any of these cats, what is he supposed to talk about? He doesn't like talking too much anyways. He pads into the crowd on unsure steps, nervously looking around. He doesn't leave Shadowclan's spot, unwilling to be surrounded by the other clans. He only just got here and he already wants to go home.

(Ptarmiganpaw is open for interactions! ))​

For the first time in his short lifespan, Adderpaw actually felt drawn into a conversation. Others in ThunderClan found more pleasure in teasing the apprentice for his obvious fascination with the prey that litters their woods, instead of finding the curiosity within themselves to adventure outside of their comfort zone and yearn to learn more. It saddened him to not be able to have anyone else to relate to in his clanmates, and he felt his shoulders slump for a moment at the thought before regaining self-consciousness at the fact that he was talking to someone else -- specifically from another clan.

Gulping pretty loudly, a wad of spit getting stuck in his dried out throat from his nerves creating a cough to pass his lips, he smiled meekly again as the she-cat finished listing the prey that plagued her forests. Hmm, he thought with a tap of his white paw like he was metaphorically scratching off the list he had made in the dirt earlier that evening before making the journey over. He had hypothesized that their forest life was extremely different from their own, but it seemed like the apple didn't fall far from the tree. Biting his tongue, he fought back against a back-handed question: "That's it?" It wasn't her fault the forests weren't vastly lush.

"Snipes... I don't know if I've seen one before. What is it?" Eagerness laced his off-pitch voice as he struggled to keep a deeper tone, clearing his throat again before continuing to answer her question. "Yeah, we have... voles, squirrels, a lot] of different birds..." ('wolves', he thought to himself but didn't add onto his sentence) "-- rabbit will come around every now and then for a special treat. I've seen a chicken, once. I didn't know what it was at first until I asked --" (bothered) "-- Leafhusk about it. They're apparently twoleg prey." Adderpaw found himself surprised at the lengths he was going to to converse with Onyxpaw, but he wasn't exactly opposed to it. The change in pace was welcoming, keeping him from his wallowing. "Uh... do you have any questions about ThunderClan?"

ooc: interacting with @ONYXPAW

*+:。.。 Orchidpaw's legs ached with the effort of keeping them from visibly shaking.
For almost a decade of lunar cycles, the boy had either slept through, was off in the forest, or was punished for his laziness and never made the cut to be a member of the gathering patrol. This time, he'd made an effort - it'd be his last gathering as a 'paw, after all. But nervousness beat against his chest like a tenacious woodpecker, and though he'd done his best to pamper his fur to look as good as it used to, he couldn't help but fret over every stray lock or raised ruffle. He wasn't sure who he aimed to impress, but the need to do so was excruciating.

Hazel eyes eventually find their way to the massive rock in the center of it all, where he can see his mother and the rest of the leaders stand as Drizzlepelt explains how gatherings work. He can't remember the last time he'd seen them, if at all - many of the faces standing atop the stone were unfamiliar to him. It made his skin crawl how little he knew about the goings-on of the world around him. Biting his tongue, he figured now was the best time to change that.

Taking a breathe to steel his nerves, the apprentice would flash his mentor a winning smile, "I appreciate the invite, but I'm going to see if I can meet some new faces. Ill come find you later though, see yah Drizzle, Beetle" he purrs, waving his tail nonchalantly as he steps into the fray, as though he isn't trembling in his boots leaving his familiar clanmates behind.

-------

That's when he spots a cat as soft and unreachable to the touch as a cloud...because they're so short. Orchidpaw stares wide-eyed at the feline for a moment, perfumed with the unfamiliar scent of long grass and open air, so completely unlike that of Skyclan's claustrophobic forest where the only reprise is reaching for the stars through the canopy. Alright Orchidpaw, you got this.

"My, if I'd known I'd meet a cat as lovely as Starclan itself at a gathering, I'd have come sooner" Orchidpaw would say, voice soft and elegant as he stepped up beside the much smaller Windclanner. Or at least, he hoped it sounded elegant. Was that too corny? Was this a bad first impression? Shit - where was Drizzlepelt again - nope don't think about it! Fake it till you make it 'chid!

But his nerves quickly crack and he lets out a tired sigh. Who's he kidding? When he raises his head, his smile is more lopsided than falsely at ease, "Honestly? I'd be grateful if you were one. A path to a spot among the stars high above all this" he gestures to the overwhelming mass of cats, "would be nice right about now." He glances back at Downypaw, debating what to say next for another moment. He figured, of all the places to drop the mask, one where his fellow clanmates couldn't see it sounded ideal. "I'm Orchidpaw, of Skyclan. First gathering, actually. I wasn't expecting it to be so...much"

• briefly interacting with @Drizzlepelt, Speaking to @downypaw

• GENERAL:
    Orchidpaw
    DFAB— He/Him — Unsure
    11 moons — Ages 1 moon every month 28th
    Skyclan — Apprentice
    Son of Orangeblossom and Ashenclaw
    Brother to Cherrypaw, Eggpaw, Glimmerpaw

COMBAT:
    Physically medium | mentally medium
    Attack in bold #bf8924
    injuries: None currently

Minnowpaw feels a bit lost, actually. She's been warned that Gatherings are intense: a lot of cats would be there from all of the Clans. It's overwhelming, but also exciting. She wishes her moms were here, but at the same time it's her first real foray into a warrior's duty and Minnowpaw is so, so excited.

A couple of older apprentices catch her eye, one tawny-furred like a shiny stone and the other silvery like a fish. She parts her jaws, scenting the air; SkyClan, and - ew - WindClan. But this curly apprentice looks nice, like a cloud, and Minnowpaw is drawn to the two like a moth to a flame (or, maybe, a fish to a RiverClanner). Her own shimmery pelt is immaculately groomed, having asked just about every cat in the camp for their approval, but even still she feels out of place as she approaches the two with a nervousness to her step but a friendly twitch of her ears to show she's not going to be mean.

"Uh, hi!" She chirrups. "Um, happy newleaf? I'm Minnowpaw from RiverClan, who are you?"

// jumping in on the convo between @Orchidpaw! and @downypaw

• Love
Reactions: Antiigone
Raccoonstripe feels Thistlepaw beside him, stiff-legged and uncertain. He turns to the young tom, eyes bright with starlight. “You don’t have to do anything for your first Gathering,” he says, giving his chest fur a self-conscious lick. He can feel the eyes on him, having led the Clan into Howlingstar’s place, above even Flycatcher, who had served as deputy for so many moons. He turns back toward Thistlepaw and murmurs, “This is our opportunity to learn more about what’s going on in the other Clans. Listen for any weaknesses, but never give any away about ThunderClan. We are here to gather information—not to make friends.” He spies a few cats who are sitting on their own, and nudges his apprentice to stride forward with him.

They approach a molly with RiverClan-scented fur, sitting alone, contemplative. Raccoonstripe clears his throat. “Hope you don’t mind if I interrupt you; you look awfully busy.” He flashes a grin for her benefit. “I’m ThunderClan’s acting leader tonight, Raccoonstripe. This is my apprentice, Thistlepaw. It’s his first Gathering, so go easy on him.” He eyes the warrior, smile intact. “What’s your name? I don’t believe I’ve had the pleasure. And how’s the prey running in RiverClan these days?

• ooc: interacting with @THISTLEPAW and @salmonshade
  • 74327127_amPwOaY4eGaGkj8.png
  • Raccoon . Raccoonstripe, he/him w/ masculine terms.
    — “speech”, thoughts, attack
    — 37 moons old, ages realistically on the 5th.
    — mentored by n/a ; mentoring none ; previously mentored Wildheart, Moonwhisper
    — thunderclan lead warrior. gray wolf x howlingstar, gen 2.
    — currently mated to Nightbird.
    — penned by Marquette.

lh black tabby with white and dark brown eyes. charismatic, charming, calculating, ambitious, shallow, manipulative.

Reactions: salmonshade
The cat that approaches her almost scares her out of her fur as she sits, spaced out. She would have jumped if it weren't for a quick regain of composure, an ear flicking in acknowledgement as she looks at the cat who had greeted her. Yes, I know you, lays on the tip of her tongue, but she dips her head in greeting anyways. They had once been apart of the same group, after all, it was quite hard to miss a family of brown tabbies like Howlingstars family... How many moons ago was it, now, since the marsh group dissolved? Too many... Stars, shes getting old. "Yes, I am awfully busy... I suppose I can spare a chat..." she tries to joke, because its the gathering and the gathering is supposed to be happy, but her tone falls awfully flat. Oops. Unfortunately for the pair that had come up, Salmon was never a jokester, and it wouldn't start now.

Raccoonstripe has grown, too, because isn't he a lead warrior now...? She had been the first cat there when he had come stomping up to Riverclans border, announcing a cure. He had brought hope to their border in a desolate time, but seeing his face now... She thinks of little Flutterpaw, deathly still in the apprentices den, of Carppaws frantic call. She suppresses the yellowcough memories as well as she can, deciding not to even comment a thank you. Wouldn't he rather forget it, too?

He brought his apprentice and she feels a fresh wave of grief flare up, slowly ebbing like the tide as she works through it with steady breaths. Moonpaw is here, anyways. It's not like... Ugh! Salmon pushes through it, because its stupid that she is still upset over it. She feels shame numbly prickle at her spine. She flicks the tip of her tail.

Oh, she should probably introduce herself. "Salmonshade. Hello again, Raccoonstripe... Hello, Thistlepaw." she turns her attention to his apprentice, giving a small nod when Raccoonstripe mentions that it was his first gathering. "What do you think of the gathering so far?" she'd ask the little one with a tilted head, dull mirth glittering in her gaze. She turns her attention back to the striped tabby for a small moment. "Riverclan is well... Prey is good, plentiful... How about Thunderclan?"

• // interacting with @RACCOONSTRIPE & @THISTLEPAW !!
  • 70831649_t0YE8lpgGiTPlyS.png
    salmon ,, salmonshade
    cis female ,, she/her ,, 37 months
    warrior of riverclan ,, former marsh grouper
    fluffy & dainty chocolate tortie smoke with white, blue eyes
    "speech, ff91a4" ,, thoughts
    lesbian ,, single
    smells like warm flowers & freshly cut grass
    chibi by pin

It'd been many moons since she'd attended a gathering, in all honesty her heart was racing for a reason she can't place. She wonders what the intentions were when she was chosen to come, was it a test? To see if she'd start anything on the single night she had to keep her claws sheathed. In many ways she feels muzzled, has felt that way since Sootstar was killed, she figures she'll always feel like that until she can't take it anymore. Her teeth stay clamped together, she wouldn't bite not tonight. She stays close to the flanks of her clanmates at first, her fiery gaze glaring towards each Riverclanner, Shadowclanner and Skyclanner in her peripherals. To her there was no point even trying to be cordial with them, she'd lose her temper and sticking to her own clanmates wasn't much better, she should use this time to learn what was going on outside their borders. Intel provided great power and well maybe she just wanted better company then cats who were waiting for her to finally turn. As she moves through the crowd of cats her gaze wanders to the Thunderclanners as they begin to disperse. It's there she finds someone to pad after, one she hasn't seen before the night. He looks a couple younger then her at least (though she figures she must look older then she is, between stress and the scars that flecked her body she'd looked better). He wouldn't stand out much if it weren't for the flash of blue eyes she catches as she comes closer.

Firefang wasn't great at civil conversation, frankly she sucked when it came to getting along with anybody at all at the best of times. She was as volatile as what she was named after and it was only made worse by her bruised ego. Regardless she tries, her tail waves and while she doesn't quiet manage a smile she doesn't look like she's angry either "Hey" it's stilted for her, it feels more awkward then it is. "I'm Firefang, from Windclan." she introduces herself simply, her head gestures towards him "Mind if I sit near you?"

She scans around

He would have been fine to just sit and watch. Weaknesses, Raccoonstripe says, and what better way to find those than to sit in silence? The machinations of charismatic cats are beyond him at this wonderful age, and now he's– oh, he's being thrust into conversation. His heart skips a few beats. RiverClan's not intimidating. They won the rocks from them, after all! But he had not been there for it, and perhaps this warrior had. She tries to joke and lighten the mood, but Thistlepaw meets the attempt without a smile. It would seem that the both of them share a stiff-faced awkwardness. What was he allowed to share? What could he possibly say that wouldn't give everything away? His own weakness? That a cat like Raccoonstripe, who would stand on top of that rock and share their announcements, was stuck with a kittypet as an apprentice?

"It's. . . a lot of cats." Surely no more than the warriors they had back home, yet the scents of four other clans sink into his nose and swim in his head. She smells like the river border. The cat that walks past smells like mud and thunderpath and pine. He can't help but turn his head to try and catch sight of who it was, though he corrects swiftly to face the pair. "Isn't prey always plentiful for you?" Thistlepaw asks pointedly, his eyes narrowed. "You eat fish."
EpC61GT.png

• OOC. @salmonshade @RACCOONSTRIPE
  • 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐒𝐓𝐋𝐄𝐏𝐀𝐖. HE - HIM. YOUNG APPRENTICE OF THUNDERCLAN. ————— the son of an ex-kittypet has spent most of his life confined to the medicine den. bad circumstances and worse healing left him in a limbo between life and death which he only just escaped. there's still recovering to do before his clanmates see him as anything more than a weak, sick kittypet.   PENNED BY REVELATIONS

a prickly-furred chocolate and slate cat with amber eyes. though with a blocky, nearly bulky frame, thistlepaw has been softened, rounded, and stretched thin by his uncertain life. without work or play to thicken the pads of his paws or add strength to his limbs, his skin plays like canvas stretched taut over its frame, his fur a hazy cloak to cover the sickness. he seems soft and unwell in equal measure. certainly not an apprentice to be. . .

Reactions: RACCOONSTRIPE
Salmonshade. Her name is a reminder of his time growing up, spent in the mire amidst a community of marsh-dwelling cats held together by a single thread. Raccoonstripe dips his head, memory glowing like starlight in his eyes. “Of course. Salmonshade. It’s good to see you again.” He turns toward Thistlepaw, who is rigid beside him, still of body and of stiff of tongue. The lead warrior’s smile widens as the apprentice points out RiverClan’s prosperous nature. “They do have the river,” he acquiesces with a flourish of his tail, “but they eat land prey sometimes, too. I’ll bet you’re happy to be back in the water though, now that it’s warm.

Salmonshade innocently asks how ThunderClan is doing. Raccoonstripe’s eyes narrow thoughtfully. Surely it’s no secret their Clan is in shambles, with Howlingstar’s absence, with Flamewhisker in the nursery, the wounds their Clan bears, the grief dulling their eyes, but her question is one of politeness. Surely, that’s all it is, and not a jab. Salmonshade doesn’t seem the type—not like Petalnose and Aspenhaze, anyway.

ThunderClan remains strong as ever,” he declares, his ears flicking forward. “Thistlepaw’s training is going very well, so far. Do you have an apprentice of your own again?” He is oblivious to the pain in her eyes when she gazes at Thistlepaw—but he remembers that she’d shown up to the border with a small white attendee who is now RiverClan’s medicine cat apprentice.

• ooc: sorry this is late, no need to reply unless you want to :) @salmonshade @THISTLEPAW
  • 74327127_amPwOaY4eGaGkj8.png
  • Raccoon . Raccoonstripe, he/him w/ masculine terms.
    — “speech”, thoughts, attack
    — 37 moons old, ages realistically on the 5th.
    — mentored by n/a ; mentoring none ; previously mentored Wildheart, Moonwhisper
    — thunderclan lead warrior. gray wolf x howlingstar, gen 2.
    — currently mated to Nightbird.
    — penned by Marquette.

lh black tabby with white and dark brown eyes. charismatic, charming, calculating, ambitious, shallow, manipulative.

Reactions: chuff